Friday, May 12, 2006

WHAT IS A POCKET PARK?

There has been a lot of discussion about attaching a possible pocket park to the proposed 14 home development on Fleming Ave. Here is an example of a new pocket park that just opened on William Street in downtown. O'Donnell's Gardens Park is 1/2 an acre, which is the approximate size of what has been discussed for Fleming, although the Fleming proposal may shrink to 1/3rd of an acre to accommodate larger setbacks on the proposed homes. The park is located at 6th and William near San Jose State University.


Neighbors on William Street fought eight years to get this. At this point, we have not been promised anything, and the discussion about whether there will be a green space attatched to the development remains up in the air. Several neighbors have some very justified concerns about attracting an unsavory element to the neighborhood. Others say it would be an asset and provide a buffer for the 14 home development. More photos to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love one of these nearby, I believe it would enhance the value of not only the incoming new homes but the surrounding homes as well far more than yet more pavement to store cars.

The Berryessa area has several mini parks such as these and they are a joy to stroll around (and yes, I find it more than a little sad that I have to get into a car and *drive* to take in a park stroll--I thought I lived in suburbia, not a downtown.). I've yet to spot unsavory elements hanging around those parks, unless you count the hazard of young moms wielding bulky baby strollers (I jest. but i havent seen anything or anyone I would consider negative at those parks). Anyway, if you've got the time to check one out, the nearest one I know of is on Noble, next to the new Berryessa branch library. I like the one on Morrill, just past Hostetter, too.